Thursday, September 8, 2011

Assignment #2 Literacy Narrative

Well, since this literacy narrative has to be about a specific experience tied to writing, I think it might be a little hard to come up with 3 concrete subjects, but here goes.


  • One experience that vividly stands out would be my senior paper titled A Cure To Negativity. The prompt for the paper was "a work of art" and since my english teacher was pretty open to what exactly the work of "art" had to be, I choose to write mine on the music of Bob Marley. I had to read a lot of books on Marley, as well as listen to a lot of his songs. This was no particular problem for me since he's one of my favorite artists. By writing the paper, I really got into the ideology he tried to spread through his music, and tried my best to write about my views on it as well. All in all, it's probably my best piece of writing I've written thus far.
    • Writing about this subject would be good since it only occurred less then a year ago, and I remember many details about the process. The only bad part IS that it only happened not too long ago, so it didn't really get me into reading and writing, although it did make me enjoy it quite a bit more.
  • I may also write about the book White Fang, written by Jack London. This is the book that got me into reading. I still remember being in 6th grade and picking the book out of our class library, taking it home and spending countless hours reading into the night. After reading this book, I kept going back tot he class library and reading more and more books. I developed quite a thirst for reading, and I owe it all to Jack London's White Fang.
    • Choosing this as my subject for the literacy narrative would be perfect because I owe it all to this book for fueling my love of reading. The one thing that would make this difficult for me is that it happened so long ago so I don't really have a detailed recollection of memories to support the subject.
  • The third idea I have for this assignment is a journal that I kept for most of my sophomore and junior years in high school. It is a detailed recollection of my thoughts during those two years of my life, and I greatly enjoyed writing in it. It drove me to pay attention to daily occurrences, allowed me to sort all of my thoughts and make life choices, and kept me busy when I was bored.
    • This would be a decent topic to write about because it improved my want of writing and my ability to write. The reason I probably won't choose this topic is because it's pretty cliche, and might be boring to my readers.

No comments:

Post a Comment